I’m an experienced, independent communications professional, looking for exciting contract opportunities in web development and digital marketing.
I’m an experienced, independent communications professional, searching for web design, branding, and cloud consulting contract opportunities.
In the age of information and the cloud, we’re seeing computer technology advance at an unprecedented rate, and it’s tough to keep up. I experienced this first-hand working in the nonprofit world for the first 5 years of my career.
It was truly perplexing – even though financial stewardship was paramount to the organizations I worked for, they were doggedly resistant to adopting new technologies that could significantly improve efficiencies, reduce costs, and expand their reach.
Despite this, I was (and always have been) horribly curious about exploring technology and finding better, faster ways to do things – particularly when they eliminated repetitive, mundane tasks from my work life. So, when my nonprofit job didn’t create opportunities for me to pique my curiosity, I created them for myself by freelancing on the side.
As a freelancer, I discovered why technology was so difficult to approach for small businesses – they either didn’t trust the product because they didn’t truly understand it, or they didn’t trust me because they had a significant previous experience where they got burned and felt taken advantage of.
As a result, I began integrating tech-education into conversations with potential new clients, and l learned how to communicate complex technology in approachable ways to non-technical business owners. Also, I would start with smaller, iterative contracts that allowed my customers a chance to test the waters before taking the leap.
This new approach helped my freelance business grow and is what led me to start Solutions by Carson, a communications company that empowers small businesses with powerful technology, but seeks first to serve people well.
Education & Experience
Solutions By Carson LLC
May 2014 – Present
- Designed over 20+ WordPress websites to date, including fully custom-coded themes with custom functionality and features.
- Built a strong reputation with branding firm contractors by building “pixel-perfect” websites from mockups and PSD files.
- Developed a Google API plugin that syncs pageviews with WordPress, sorting posts and feeds based on popularity to improve pageviews/session
- Developed a custom user FAQ plugin that adds FAQ feeds to posts/pages, allowing front-end users to submit, upvote, and downvote FAQ items, as well as structured data for search engine faq features.
- Developed a post rating/feedback plugin that allows posts/pages to receive star ratings from users and prompts them for feedback if a low ranking is received.
- Developed a custom site search plugin with dynamic autocomplete functionality, dynamically showing website visitors best matches based on relevance and popularity.
- Designed and built the official respite care resources search engine/website for the state of Colorado.
- Has managed over $250K in PPC campaign budgets through Facebook/Instagram, LinkedIn, and Google Ad Words.
- Managed Facebook pages that receive reach over 75K users and garner over 5.6K post engagements weekly.
- Served as primary SEO strategist and content director for over 10+ websites that combined receive over 10 million page views per year and rank in the top 10 search results on google for over 350 keywords.
- Served as the primary designer for 7 company branding projects to date, including logos, colors, and branding system.
- Served as the lead UI/UX designer for a nonprofit foundation app, providing wireframes, mockups, and final compositions created in Figma.
- Served as the lead UI/UX designer for a large, SEO/EAT redesign project for two industry-leading content websites that receive over 2.5 million visitors per year.
- Designed and developed a comprehensive branding system for a large, international nonprofit organization that included all forms of digital and printed material including: video presentations, invitations, press releases/media alerts, fliers, event posters, email templates, billboards, banners, large checks, landing pages, t-shirts, and more.
Homes for Hope
May 2014 – August 2016
- Develop and implement multi-platform marketing plans to increase targeted lead generation.
- Develop and implement internal systems for sales operations, donor relationship management, and project management.
- Design all print and digital marketing collateral for Home for Hope projects and events.
- Developed the Builder Toolbox, a comprehensive and fast-deploying branding system that:
- Reduced turnaround on marketing requests from 2 weeks to 48 hours
- Reduced the average H4H project cycle by 36 days
- Increased H4H’s working capacity by 100%
- Exposed the H4H brand at over 60 events in 30+ states, with an estimated 5,000 people in attendance
- Led the implementation of Salesforce for Homes for Hope that:
- Reduced annual expenses by $11.3K by automating administrative processes.
- Saved the company $15,000 by handling implementation in-house instead of hiring a 3rd party consultant.
- Helped increase donor retention by 30%
- Helped see annual revenue increase from $700K to $1.2 Million by generating crucial insights into improving operational efficiency and effectiveness.
Special Project Coordinator
The Bell Center for Early Intervention
August 2013 – May 2014
- Recruit, train, and manage all volunteers for participating as child partners in the classroom.
- Develop and execute a marketing strategy for email and social media to recruit donors and volunteers.
- Manage two fundraising campaigns to help the development team achieve their revenue goals.
- Raised a record $25,000 during the annual poinsettia drive.
- Increased social media following by 35% in 6 months.
- Increased post engagement on Facebook by 125% by using new content strategies utilizing HD photos and videos.
- Recruited and managed 50+ volunteers who contributed over 1,500 manhours.
- Reduced company expenses by $8K by developing a volunteer management system to automate repetitive admin work.
The University of Alabama
Graduated May 2013
B.A. Social Entrepreneurship
= Some Experience = 2-3 Years = 4+ Years
Content Management Systems
Content Management Systems
Creative problem solver
Tech Trend Follower
Happy scrolling. Click an image to see it full screen.